Thursday, June 17, 2010

Boys are Unique Creatures

Today was an interesting study in the crazy boy-ness that is my sons. Here they are a year or so ago. Flexing their testosterone for the camera.



Even though they are bigger now, not much has changed as far as the testosterone goes. After a quick trip to the chiropractor for mommy, we made a run to the library, and I got an unexpected lesson in the uniqueness of these creatures.


After an amusing ride with Tobe on the elevator, we approached the double glass doors that lead to the children's section of the library. On the wall is the button for handicapped access to the door. Tobe loves to push that button to open the door for me and my stroller full of beautiful, pink little girl. So, I asked him to go and push it for me. What followed was so stunning, so stereotypical, I just had to laugh!


Tobe propelled himself, top speed, toward the button, and at the very last minute, he leaped into the air and body-slammed the button and the wall surrounding it. Seriously, I think he was 4 inches off the ground. Then, he bounced off the wall and landed on his feet, complete with a huge, proud smile!


Happily, and with me laughing a little too loudly for the library, Tobe ran through the doors and then through a second set of doors, where he promptly wacked his head on the door bar. Bouncing off, he kept going, while rubbing his bumped spot. By this point I was laughing so hard that the librarians were shooting me looks.


Fast forward about a half an hour. We had our books in hand, our videos chosen and checked out, and we were out in the parking lot. As soon as we crossed the street, and the tell tale beep of the door clicker let us know the doors were unlocked, my two middle boys took off running.


If you have spent any time with boys, you know that they cannot just run. It was a race, and apparently, a battle to the death. Not only were they running full speed, but they were shoving and pushing one another out of the way! You would have thought there were mountains of cheeseburgers in our van or something the way they were busting to get there first.


Time for an important reminder. I am a girl. Therefore, this crazy boy mindset is foreign to me. I have learned much through the immersion method, though, so I speak the language. I am no longer shocked by it! For some reason, today it just struck me funny. It was just so innate. No thought, no decision making, just instinct. Run. Be first. Kill if necessary. Subdue the button on the wall. Make it do what I want it to. And do it with style!


I have to confess, sometimes this boy world is frustrating and alien to me. Today, it was just FUN! They are a hoot, and I love the way God made them. Hopefully, I'll remember that the next time I hear them armpit tooting in the living room and laughing hysterically! I can't make any promises.

3 comments:

  1. Julie, I am literally laughing out loud as I read this =) Our oldest boy is only 4 years old right now, but I am preparing myself for what is to come. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there also is a bit of a unique dynamic here with 4 boys all in a row! It is like testosterone times 8!!! It is exponential!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Julie! Good to see you blogging, too. My blogsite is fernleafarm.blogspot.com
    Can't wait to hear all the fun adventures of your boys, and the princess activities of your little angel. It's amazing how different they are!

    ReplyDelete