Saturday, April 24, 2010

Bread!

I have had many requests lately to share the bread recipe I use for my family. This is my trusty, tried and true wheat recipe that makes anywhere from 4-5 loaves depending on the size pan you use. Since I use a good sized 9 inch bread pan, I get 4 very large loaves from this recipe. It comes from Denise Fidler at www.countrybaker.com. Her cookbook, "WildFlour" has a bunch of amazing whole grain bread recipes. Just amazing!!! I highly recommend it!

And to answer your question, yes, I do now grind my own flour! So, I can finally follow her directions exactly. But this is very recent, and before now, I bought the King Arthur White Wheat Flour with a great result!!! I also use SAF Instant yeast. Now that I have tried it, there is no going back. It is amazingly easy!!

Here is her recipe, adapted to the way I used it BEFORE I bought the grinder!

Start with having 18 or so cups of white wheat flour available, the majority of a 5 pound bag.

6 cups warm water (120-130 degrees)
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup oil (I use coconut oil, but any oil will do.)
5 cups of white wheat flour
(She calls for 4T of dough enhancer, but I have never used it. I plan to in the near future, though.)
3T. SAF instant yeast

In a heavy duty mixer bowl with a dough hook attachment or a large bowl if needing by hand, mix slightly until blended. Cover and allow to sponge for 15-30 minutes. This develops more flavor, but is optional.

Then add: 2T salt.

=>=>I can't emphasize enough how important this is. Without the salt, this bread is flavorless, over-risen and a waste of calories, in my humble opinion! I know, because I have forgotten this more than once. Ugh. Not good.<=<=

Now, add another 11-13 cups of flour, mixing in quickly, until the dough cleans the sides of the bowls. At this point, add enough flour just to keep it from being too wet. All totaled, I rarely use more than 17 cups of flour.

If needing with a mixer, need for 5-7 minutes, if needing by hand, it will take at the very least 10 minutes. Probably more. You want it to be a good, smooth, well developed dough. Divide evenly into your greased pans, whether 4 or 5, and allow it to rise, covered, to about an inch over the top of the pan. In my warm house, this takes about 30 minutes.

Put the bread into a 350 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes, and you have what for us is about a week's worth of bread! I allow them to cool on a wire rack until fully cooled, and then I freeze all but the one I am planning to eat next. That way they are "first day" fresh when we get around to them.

Okay, if you have questions, let me know. One of these days I'll do a pictorial on this whole process, but at least now you have the recipe! Enjoy!!!

4 comments:

  1. This is the same recipe I use! It is amazing! I have never used Coconut oil though. I use Canola. I will have to try it. I only bake mine for about 25 minutes. Probable depends on the oven. I also always try to put on a teapot or some soup to raise the humidity while I am letting it rise. Seems to make it even higher. Everything else is the same! I am so thankful to be able to have this yummy and healthy alternative for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I use palm oil (reforested organic)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, girls! Nancy, I found today that my bread was HUGE! I have the windows open, high humidity, so I will have to keep this in mind! And I can get away with about 28 minutes in my oven. I do think it really does depend on the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you use whole wheat flour in place of the white wheat flour?

    ReplyDelete