Saturday, April 24, 2010

Gardening in Indiana, Texan at heart

For several years now, I have had a special packet tucked away in the drawer of my bedside table. It was sent by a friend of mine, and I have longed to use it. Year after year, though, something has always stopped me. Sometimes it was an overly full schedule. Sometimes it was a pregnancy that had me so uncomfortable I didn't want to do anything at all. Not this year! Not this spring. I have finally used it!

I know you are DYING to know, "What was in the packet, Julie?" Well, I'll tell you! It was a packet of Texas Bluebonnet seeds. If you have never seen a field of Texas Bluebonnets in the spring, you have truly missed one of God's most beautiful creations on the earth! In April, the state of Texas is temporarily the most breathtaking shade of blue you have ever seen, like it has been covered in a giant, blue carpet!


I have had my doubts, however, about the ability of our heavy clay soil here in Indiana to grow a flower that thrives in the dry, sandy soil of the Lone Star State. With good reason, too. Here is what I found today on the internet about it. "Bluebonnets cannot tolerate poorly drained, clay-based soils. Seeds planted in poorly drained soils will germinate, but plants will never fully develop. Seedlings will become either stunted or will turn yellow and die." Sigh.


This year, since I am not pregnant, and I have carved out for us a very calm Spring, the seeds are in the ground. So far, they are just beginning to pop up. At least I think they are. Little green leaves have appeared recently, giving me hope that I may have a bluebonnet garden yet. However, some of the sprouting leaves appear to be weeds. And some appear to be the Japanese Spurge I have been trying to get rid of for the last 3 years. A few look unfamiliar, and my hopes are that these will be Bluebonnets.


So, the boys and I are on Bluebonnet watch. And we are anxiously awaiting Mother's Day, after which we can plant our veggie garden, according to our local gardening experts. We purchased a whole bunch of non-GMO heirloom seeds this year, and are so excited to plant them! In my heart of hearts, though, I just really want to see one, two, maybe a whole bed full of Bluebonnets!! I'll keep you informed of what happens with my sprouts!


I can honestly say that I don't miss much about Texas. I grew up there, but I appear to be a midwesterner at heart. There are two things I do miss about Texas: My family is there, and so are the Bluebonnets! Well, this summer my family is visiting. Let's hope the Bluebonnets will, too!

4 comments:

  1. Um, what are you doing up at 5:28 AM? Is THAT how you get things done? Because, I was thinking how on earth you could have a blog on top of everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAIT...I see we're 3 hours behind here...on Pacific time, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very strange! I MOST CERTAINLY was not up at 5:30! Clearly, you need to get to know me better!!! I'll have to check my time settings on this blog! =)

    ReplyDelete