Monday, April 26, 2010

Love, Hate and Sugar

Well, folks, today is the day. Today is the day I am heeding the voice of the Lord that has been nagging at me for some time, and I am giving up refined sugar. There. I said it out loud, so now it is real.

For a person like me who loves baking and dessert almost more than anything else on earth, this is horrible. A catastrophe. It is practically a Greek tragedy! People will write books about this. Historians will lament this day for centuries to come. (Well, maybe not, but they should.)

So, what led up to this, you ask? Simple. My body has decided it doesn't like sugar any more. Probably because I have fed it too much over my long life! I am not diabetic, but I am headed there. I have been praying and asking the Lord to identify the things in my life that need to be changed so that I can reclaim my health and lose weight. Through many different sources, the Lord pointed out to me that the sugar had to go. Man. That is not the answer I wanted.

However, here I stand, determined to follow. I mean, I asked, right? I wish that following God's leading was easy! Sometimes it is, but on this one, no way. This is not going to be easy.

I'd love some help here, folks. If any of you have given up refined sugar and have some great survival tips, I'd love to have them. It is not even noon on the first day, and I am already dyin', folks! I'd also love some prayers, because this is HARD!!!

Thanks!! I'll let you know how it goes. That is, if I don't die first. (Oh, the drama of it all, the absolute Shakespearean tragedy!) Don't worry, chances are best that I will be back!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck!! I need to follow in your footsteps. I'll pray for you! I am trying to cut way back, but havn't had the guts to cut it all out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I think this is a challenge to your cooking genius! I have a friend whose husband couldn't eat sugar, so she became the kitchen scientist who figured out how to make all their favorite recipes with natural or alternative sweeteners. I have confidence you could do the same!

    ReplyDelete